According to the New York Civil Practice Law and Rules (CPLR) §308, improper service can delay or lead to the dismissal of a case. Process servers ensure that legal documents are delivered in accordance with the law. They deliver official court documents, including summons, complaints, subpoenas, and divorce papers to individuals involved in the case.
However, process serving entails more than just delivering documents in a timely and efficient manner. It demands a specific set of skills and familiarity with legal practices and processes.
Serve Index LLC, home to New York’s best process servers, highlights key things you need to know about the service of process. They also provide a few best practices when working with process servers.
They Work Outside Office Hours
In New York, you can request a sheriff’s deputy to serve legal papers to a respondent. However, a sheriff’s deputy has other duties to take care of, which means serving papers could be at the bottom of their to-do list. Likewise, they can only serve papers between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., when most respondents are at work.
Process servers know the precise time to serve the papers: they work outside normal working hours and can serve papers during hours when respondents have already clocked out from the office. If the target is evasive, they wait for them to show up at or near locations they frequent, such as at a park near the target’s home or in front of their place of work.
Beyond that, process servers provide real-time updates on the service progress.
Good Research Skills Are a Must
Process servers need access to resources and information to locate a person’s whereabouts. For this reason, stellar research skills are a must. Process servers tap into their network of connections and gather information from databases, associate interviews, web and social media sites, and so on.
However, if all means have been exhausted, and the subject is yet to be found, a process server may opt for the following modes of service:
- Substituted Service. Papers are handed over to an individual at the subject’s home or place of business, who will then deliver them to the subject. The substitute must be of suitable age and discretion.
- Conspicuous Service. Papers are left at a place where the respondent will easily find them.
Process Servers Are Always On the Go
Contrary to popular belief, process servers spend more time on the road than they do behind desks. Part of their job is to locate individuals, which means a lot of waiting and back-and-forth trips, especially if the recipient is evasive or has skipped town.
Process Servers Need a Lot of Information
To ensure the seamless service of documents, process servers need all the information they can get about the case and the individuals involved. Be ready to provide the following information:
- Case name and case number
- Name of the person that needs to be served, including any nicknames or aliases
- Work address and schedule (if applicable)
- Home address or last known place of residence
- Does the person live alone or with family members and roommates of legal age who may accept service?
- The year, make, model, and color of the vehicle the person drives
- Social media information for identification purposes
- A photo of the person that needs to be served (if possible)
- Contact information of the person involved in the decision-making (in case issues arise during the service of documents)
Work with Reliable Process Servers in New York City
Avoid delays in your case with help from the experts at Serve Index LLC. With decades of experience assisting legal firms, corporations, and civilians, we know the in and outs of process serving in NYC. We serve a wide range of legal documents, including divorce papers, motions, subpoenas, landlord notices, and civil action suits.
Our hardworking and efficient process servers ensure that papers are served on time and at the specified location. When you hire us, expect the following benefits:
- Three service attempts
- Real-time service updates
- Photo documentation
- Reliable GPS tracking
- Email notifications
- Proof of service
- Rush and same day service, if needed
Experience the benefits of working with seasoned process servers. Get in touch with us today to get a free quote.