Obtaining an Affidavit of Non-Military Service

Regardless of whether you want to sue someone in a case involving child support, car repossession, eviction, or domestic relations, you are required to produce an affidavit of non-military service before the judge. To put it simply, this type of affidavit is required in all cases when you want to sue another individual.

It may sound confusing, but there is a valid point as to why this document is asked for by the courts. Read on to learn more.

What Is an Affidavit of Non-Military Service?

With the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA), people who are in the military are protected against lawsuits. This federal act is meant to ensure that service members on active duty can devote their entire energy to protecting the country. As such, they are protected from legal or financial transactions that may negatively affect their rights during uniformed service. This law applies to active-duty members of the US Army, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Navy, and Air Force.

Of course, this doesn’t mean that they are fully exempt from all legal proceedings. It only establishes that there will be an additional barrier for legal professionals to pass when their clients want to sue a person in uniformed or military service.

Additionally, the SCRA helps ensure a fair trial, meaning that a verdict against an active-duty member cannot be made without the presence of the said member.

Before you can proceed further with the litigation, a judge will require from you an affidavit of non-military service. This allows them to ensure that the person you’re suing is not in the military. Simply put, this affidavit, also known as SCRA affidavit or military affidavit, states that the defendant doesn’t have active military status, i.e., not in the military at that moment.

One important thing to remember about this law is that it’s only for people who are currently in the military. All ex-military members do not fall under the rule of this law.

woman receiving a documentObtaining an Affidavit of Non-Military Service

Different courts may require different forms for requesting an affidavit of non-military service. Fortunately, we at Serve Index LLC are equipped to request and obtain this document from all jurisdictions.

A military affidavit can be obtained on your own, but note that this takes time and detailed information, like the social security number of the person you are suing. You can avoid this trouble and directly reach out to us. We have years of dealing with matters like this. You can count on professionals to do the hard work for you.

Our team knows how to conduct the search and will perform due diligence. Simply provide us with the information needed, and you will get the SCRA affidavit as soon as the next day.

Reach out to our team at Serve Index LLC to get started.

Need A Process Server? We're here to help!

Contact Us
To Take Control Of Your Legal Needs With Our Services