Serving a subpoena to witnesses in another state like New Jersey used to be tricky due to different laws applying to different jurisdictions. It involved cumbersome procedures that often delayed cases. However, after the Uniform Interstate Depositions and Discovery Act (UIDDA) was established in 2007, domesticating and serving a subpoena to produce documents from an individual or organization in New Jersey became much easier.
The UIDDA standardized the means of getting information and deposition from individuals from another state. It also removed the need to hire local counsel from New Jersey. Now, subpoena domestication in New Jersey can be done much more quickly. The process is completed in 3 steps:
- First, you need a written draft of the subpoena that complies with all applicable New Jersey laws to ensure that it’s enforceable.
- You may either personally submit the documents to a New Jersey court clerk or send them via mail. The clerk will reissue a subpoena that adheres to their jurisdiction’s rules and procedures. The reissued subpoena will be given a new index number and signed by the clerk.
- After the subpoena is domesticated, it’s ready to be served to the witness that needs to be deposed. Once it’s served, that person is now obligated to testify or produce documents essential to your case.
Although the process isn’t as time-consuming and complex it used to be, it’s still not easy to accomplish. Apart from the steps mentioned above, you’ll also need to locate the right court clerk to work on the request. Additionally, you need to be sure that the subpoena is served to the right person.
This is why hiring process servers is essential. They will handle the entire process, removing all the time-consuming work from you and your lawyer.
Hire the Right Professionals for the Job
Serve Index LLC has been working with law firms, solo practitioners, and corporations for years. Our expert process servers are highly skilled and will always make sure that every step in the entire process is done with care and efficiency. By working with us, you can avoid problems caused by improper service like:
- Serving the wrong individual
- Delivering documents to the wrong address
- Case delays and dismissals caused by errors in the service of process
Serving Out-of-State Subpoenas With No Delays
We understand that legal procedures are time-sensitive, so our team will ensure that every document is processed and subpoena served as soon as possible. Serve Index LLC also recognizes that some cases are more urgent than others. This is why we offer the following tiers of services that have different delivery time frames:
- Same-day Service
- Rush Service: 24-48 Hours
- Standard Service: 3-5 days
Why Hire Us?
Serve Index LLC always puts its clients first. We want to make sure that you’re satisfied with our work. With our team of experienced process services, we guarantee that you’ll always get the following benefits:
- Regular updates on the progress
- GPS tracking
- Email status notification
- Real-time photo logs
- Three delivery attempts
We also use various methods to successfully serve the subpoenas even to the most unwilling individuals. Aside from helping with the domestication and serving out-of-state subpoenas, we also offer legal support services such as court filing, skip tracing, and document retrieval.