File your notice of claim against the City of New York with the help of experienced process servers from Serve Index. We offer reliable and prompt same-day delivery service, and we cover all areas around New York. Our process servers always make sure the right document gets to the right place.
You have every right to file a case against the City of New York for negligence. Perhaps an on-duty police officer crashed into your car due to speeding, or you had a slip and fall accident in a poorly maintained public park. In some cases, you can hold the city liable for the accident, but you’ll need to build a strong case showing the city was negligent and that you had no fault in the accident.
Although it seems overwhelming, with the right team of process servers assisting you in starting your claim, you can focus your attention on building a strong case against the City of New York.
Filing Actions Against the City of New York
For actions against New York City or one of its departments or agencies, you need to give the pertinent parties prior notice. The City requires the plaintiff to notify it of an injury or other claims within 90 days of the incident. Once you’ve notified them of the occurrence, you will receive a “Notice of a Claim.”
The City agencies listed below fall under the “Mayoral Agency” category:
- Office of the Mayor
- Office of the Comptroller
- Fire Department/Emergency Medical Service
- Sanitation Department
- Department of Corrections
- Department of Buildings
- Department of Finance
- Department of Environmental Protection
- Department Housing Preservation and Development
- Department of General Services
- Department of Transportation (Highways, Ferries, Parking Violations Bureau)
- Department of Social Services/Human Resources Administration
- New York City Community Colleges
For actions against any Mayoral Agency, obtain your Notice of Claim and a Claim Number from:
City of New York Comptroller, One Centre Street, New York, NY 10007
Once you’ve notified the City of the claim and have your number, wait for 30 days to allow the City to review your case and perhaps reach a settlement with you. After the waiting period, start an action in Court. The action, however, must be implemented within a year and ninety days of the time of the injury or damage for the agencies mentioned above.
When obtaining your Notice of Claim, enter your Claim Number and other specific information regarding your application for a summons.
If you wish to file a complaint against a non-mayoral agency, however, file the Notice of Claim with the said agency. They will provide a Claim Number. Indicate the defendant on the Court form as:
- N.Y.C Department of Education, 52 Chambers Street, Room 320, B4 New York, New York 10007
- S.I.R.T.O.A, 60 Bay Street, 6th Floor, Staten Island, New York, 10301
- M.T.A. Bridges and Tunnels, The Robert Moses Building, Randall’s Island, New York 10035
- N.Y.C Housing Authority, Law Dept. 250 Broadway, 9th floor, New York, New York, 10007
- N.Y.C. Transit Authority (MABSTOA), 130 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, New York 11201
Actions against state agencies, for example:
- State Department of Labor
- State Department of Motor Vehicles
- State Department of Commerce
- State Insurance Department
- State University of New York
Must be filed at:
Court of Claims of the State of New York
The Gov. Nelson Rockefeller Empire State Plaza, Box 7344
Capitol Station, Albany, NY 12224
For actions against federal agencies, file your claims in the following addresses:
- For Kings, Queens, and Richmond Counties: Federal Court House, 225 Cadman Plaza East, Brooklyn, New York
- For the Bronx and New York Counties: S. District Court, Pro Se Office, 500 Pearl Street, New York, New York
Notice of claims should be filed properly; otherwise, it can be dismissed by the court. Avoid potential hurdles along the way with assistance from a professional.
Simplify Filing Notice of Claims with a Reputable Process Service in NYC
In case you need to serve papers against the City of New York, have Serve Index LLC do it for you. Our licensed process servers will serve your court papers, complete the affidavit of service, and file it with the Court.
Our Process Service includes
- GPS tracking
- Updates on Service Progress
- Real-time photo logs
- Three delivery attempts
- Emailed copy of the affidavit
- Email status notification
Depending on the urgency of your case, select from one of the following delivery timeframes:
- Same-day service
- 3- to 5-day standard service
- 24 to 48 hours rush service
Choose Serve Index LLC for Your Service Process Needs
We can complete services within 24 hours of your request. With this service, you’ll receive real-time notice of the job’s completion. The affidavit will immediately follow.
Peace of Mind
Even though not all cases require same-day services, we treat all jobs in a time-sensitive manner. Unless otherwise requested, we process all of our works within three to five days of receipt. All of our servers are also equipped with technology that provides clients with the real-time status of their requests.
Although our area of focus is New York, we serve clients nationwide. Our professional process servers are all over the United States. Our out-of-state affiliates are experienced servers who understand and follow process guidelines and procedures and are proficient at their jobs.
We always provide our clients with excellent service that goes beyond industry standards of promptness, accuracy, and reliability. We only recruit and employ the most promising licensed process servers and public notaries in our team.
Once we have your papers, we do everything to make sure they reach their intended recipient properly and on time.
Visit our contact page to inquire about our service and get a quotation today.