You could sue the city of New York if you were injured on the city’s property. You also have the right to file a case if the city’s employees’, officers’, or agents’ carelessness or conduct contributed or caused your injury.
Other types of lawsuits you can file against New York City include:
- Trip and fall or slip and fall accidents on a city property
- Traffic accidents involving a city vehicle (e.g., fire truck, police car, or garbage truck)
- Traffic accidents due to improper traffic signs or faulty construction or maintenance of a city roadway or street
- Any other injury linked to the carelessness of an individual who works for, is acting on behalf of, or in an official capacity of New York City
Initiating Legal Action
To take legal action against the city, you must first advise it of your intention to do so via a Notice of Claim — and do it 90 days within the incident or accident. Your claim should include the following details:
- Name and address
- Your attorney’s name and address
- Details about the accident/incident
- The amount of compensation you seek
If you are filing a suit against a mayoral agency (e.g., Department of Transportation, Department of Social Services/Human Resources Administration, Department of Environmental Protection, etc.), obtain your Notice of Claim and Claim Number from One Centre Street New York, NY 10007.
Once you’ve notified the City of the claim and have your number, wait for thirty days to allow the City of New York to review your claim and attempt to settle with you.
If you wish to file against non-mayoral agencies, file your claim with the agency itself. The agency will provide a Claim Number, if necessary. Indicate the defendant on the court form as:
- N.Y.C. Department of Education, 52 Chambers Street, Room 320, B4
- N.Y.C. Housing Authority, Law Dept., 250 Broadway, 9th Floor, New York, New York 10007
- M.T.A. Bridges and Tunnel, The Robert Moses Building, Randall’s Island, New York 10035
- N.Y.C. Transit Authority (MABSTOA), 130 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, New York 11201
- S.I.R.T.O.A. 60 Bay Street, 6th Floor, Staten Island, New York, 10301
Once you’ve completed the Notice, you must “serve it” to authorized government departments and see to it that the City receives your Notice of Claim.
Failing to meet the 90-day deadline or include all the required information may result in your case being dismissed, preventing you from pursuing your claim.
If you are unable to serve your documents, worry not. Serve Index LLC can do it on your behalf.
Professional NYC Process Servers
As licensed process servers, our firm attends to the needs of clients from the five boroughs of NYC (Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island), apart from Long Island’s Suffolk and Nassau counties. We’ve been doing service of process for a number of years now, providing reliable and trustworthy services regardless of who or which entity we’re serving papers to.
Serve Index LLC has experience serving Notices of Claims against the City of New York. Whether you’re pressing charges against a mayoral agency, non-mayoral agency, or city employees, agents, and officials, our process servers will see to the timely service of your notice, summons, and complaint.
We serve court papers, complete affidavits of service, file them with the court, and mail you the original copies. We study and follow the guidelines for the service of process in the State of New York, knowing full well that violations of the said guidelines can result in a dismissal without prejudice. Moreover, our licensed process servers use all means available to them to ensure that defendants are served within your preferred time frame.
Our service includes the following:
- GPS tracking
- Regular updates on the service progress
- Email status notification
- Three delivery attempts
- Emailed copy of the affidavit prior to mailing
- Real-time photo logs
Serve Index LLC has three different timeframes for delivery:
- Same-Day Service: we carry out service of process on the same day we receive your documents (subject to specific provisions according to the law)
- Rush Service: the process is done anywhere in New York within 24 to 48 hours of receiving your documents
- Standard Service: service of process is completed within three to five days in any of NYC’s five boroughs
Your Top Choice for NYC Process Server
Our NYC-based process server agency has successfully helped countless clients across New York City’s five boroughs without any mishaps or hiccups. We attribute our success to our unique, no-nonsense approach to serving legal documents and locating elusive defendants in the city. On top of that, our selection of supplementary legal services delivers an efficient and streamlined service to clients at all times.
Apart from our supplementary offers, we also provide other value-added services of process to provide top-quality services. More importantly, we focus on staying true to our promise of getting the job done on time (or earlier), thanks to our:
- Reliance on the best technology for a streamlined process
- Team of licensed process servers in NYC
- In-depth knowledge of the NYC area
When you work with us, you’ll be working with an agency that has garnered a five-star rating online. Any new client will become a repeat client because our firm is:
- One of the fastest process servers in New York
- Dedicated to following permissible service of process methods
- Capable of serving even the most evasive defendants
- Backed up by a team of process servers with decade’s worth of experience
Take the first step to defending your rights by having us serve your legal documents. Get in touch with us today to learn more.